Hike Maui - Haleakala Crater Hiking Experience
The friendly, eco-friendly folks from Latatudes & Adatudes Adventure Tours invite you to go on your very own Maui Eco-Adventure deep into Haleakala crater!
Round trip transportation’s included; hop in one of Maui Eco-Tours’ roomy vans and ride in air-conditioned comfort to the summit of Haleakala, where your adventure begins! Before setting out, you’ll enjoy fresh ground coffee and a continental breakfast. You’ll also be treated to one heck of a spectacular view of the crater!
(That’s just one of the day’s many awesome photo opportunities, so keep your cameras at the ready!)
Hike down into the crater with Maui Eco-Tours’ friendly and knowledgeable guides leading the way! They’ll fill you in on the history of the area and the island (Did you know that Haleakala makes up more than ¾ of the island’s total mass?), share a little bit about Hawaiian culture and the significance of Haleakala, and point out some of the plant and animal life unique to the area!
(Be on the lookout for the rare and fragile Silversword as well as the Hawaiian State Bird, the Nene Goose!)
It’s a strenuous hike - about 4 to 5 miles long at high altitude and not for beginners. However, it’s up to you how far down into the crater you want to go!
Before leaving, you’ll enjoy a nice picnic lunch and have one last chance to snap as many pics as you can of this amazing and breathtaking East Maui volcano!
So join Maui Eco-Adventures on a hike down into Haleakala crater and see for yourself why early Hawaiians named the summit of Haleakala the “House of the Sun!”
- Hike into both sides of Haleakala
- Enjoy the crater’s different environments
- 2-mile hike at the 10,000-foot summit features views of huge cinder cones and a desert-like scenery
- 2-mile hike at 8,000-foot elevation along a lava trail features views of rare native plant species
- On a clear day it seems you can see forever
Sandwich Choices: Veggie, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Ham or Turkey
Haleakala Crater 4 Mile Hike
- Where and When:
- Includes hotel pick-up around 8:30 am or meet at 9:30 am at Kahului Park & Ride (View Map). The Park & Ride meeting location is along a large concrete wall with a single row of parking facing Hwy 380 west of Hwy 311.
Directions from Wailea / Makena / Kihei (the south side of the island): From Hwy 31 (Piilani Hwy) head north. Follow airport signs to Kahului, bearing right onto Hwy 311. After 10 minutes, look for a big church (King's Cathedral), then move into left lane. Turn left onto Hwy 380 (Kuihelani Hwy). Go 200 yards and turn right into Park & Ride commuter lot. Park your car against a concrete block wall.
Directions from Lahaina / Kaanapali / Kapalua (the west side of the island): Head south on Hwy 30 as if you're going to Kahului Airport. Turn right onto Hwy 380. Five miles down 380 there's a concrete block wall on the left. Turn across highway into Park & Ride commuter lot against that wall.
- Parties of 10+ will be accessed a $200.00 gratuity at the time of reservation.
- Participants must be at least 8 years old.
All participants must wear closed-toed shoes.
- Special Notes:
- Please wear shorts and shirt for hiking, swimsuit under clothes for swimming. Wear athletic shoes. Please bring a towel & sunscreen.
We provide day packs, rain wear, mosquito repellant, bottled water, first aid, fresh island fruit, sandwiches (veggie garden burger, peanut butter & jam, turkey) Gratuity of $100 will be added to groups of 7-10 by the vendor
- Operation Days:
- 7 hours
- Hike Maui
- Tour might be canceled if fewer than 4 guests have signed up for the tour on any given day.