Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Observatory Tour
Please note: Due to the popularity of this tour, please call us at 866-482-9775 to check availability if booking within the next month. Tour participants must be at least 16 years old to go to the summit.
Get back to nature with a Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii tours! Experience the most breathtaking and stimulating scenery on the earth. Journey through the tropical forest, see the ecosystem up close and personal, watch a stunning sunset, and stargaze at the sky with Mauna Kea Summit Tour in Hilo. Wet your thirst for outdoor adventure with a Hawaii Tour hosted by Buzz Hawaii. Get educated about the island’s geography, natural history, and culture with our Manua Kea Observatory Tour guides. The Hawaii Forest and Trail Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Observatory Tours are very popular and quickly fill, so don’t delay and contact Buzz Hawaii for your Mauna Kea Summit Tours and Hawaii Adventures. Buzz Hawaii has discounted prices for all Hawaii Tours and Hawaii Adventures.
The Hawaii breathtaking sunset from the Summit of Mauna Kea can be seen 13,796 feet above sea level. Mauna Kea Observatory Tours Watch provides beautiful scenery at the Onizuka Center for International Astronomy. Mauna Kea Summit Tours provide the means to see the surrealistic landforms of the Hawaiian Islands that are volcanic in origin. In terms of how much lava erupts each year, Kilauea is one of the most productive volcanoes and Mauna Loa is the largest active volcano on earth. The center has the most sophisticated and largest telescope in the world that provides the means to see the treasures of the night sky from Polaris to the Southern Cross. You will have the opportunity to view strange cloudscapes and a panorama of the night sky. Bring your camera you won’t want to miss such fantastic photo opportunities. It may be hard to believe, but in the winter months, the Summit of Mauna Kea is famous for its snow-capped mountaintops. Bring a jacket; wear warm clothing, and walking shoes. The tour provides: hot tea, hot chocolate, boxed dinner, cookies, bottled water, telescope, gloves, and jackets. Buzz Hawaii offers the Hawaii Forest and Trail Mauna Kea Summit Hawaii Observatory Tour along with other Hawaii Adventures and Hawaii Tours with discounted prices for your Hawaii vacations.
- Enjoy a warm picnic dinner on the beautiful mountain while learning about Hawaiian star navigation
- Your guide will share historic accounts of early travelers through the mountain lands
- Delight in the awe-inspiring sunset at the top of Maunakea, the highest point in the Pacific
- Stand amidst the world’s largest collection of research telescopes
- Sip hot chocolate during your private starshow at 9,000 feet elevation with an 11” Celestron telescope
- Dinner choice of one of the following: Beef stew or vegan chili (gluten free)
- Assorted teas
- Hot chocolate
- Warm hooded parkas and gloves are provided
Mauna Kea Observatories
Mauna Kea Stargazing
Mauna Kea Summit Tour
- Where and When:
- Afternoon departure, between 1:30 pm and 3 pm. The exact departure time depends on the season and will be specified on your voucher.
Tour departs from the following locations:
Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters, 73-5593A Olowalu St., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 View Map
Please meet us across the street from Home Depot at our Kona Headquarters. This is a departure point for many Hawaii Forest & Trail Tours. This location also has a 900 sq. ft. retail store that includes outdoor gear and apparel, books, maps and gift items.
Queen's Marketplace, 69-201 Waikoloa Beach Dr, Waikoloa, HI 96738 (near Charlie's Thai Cuisine) View Map
The backside of this popular shopping area serves as a pickup location for many Hawaii Forest & Trail tours. Look for Charlie's Thai Cuisine, and HF&T will be at the curb!
- Please bring your own water bottle for use on tour. Water bottles are available for purchase at Hawaii Forest and Trail and a jug will be available for refills.
- Mauna Kea summit tours are not recommended for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions (no pacemakers), pregnant women and those who have conditions not conducive to high altitude or physical activity.
Children under 16 are not permitted on this tour due to altitude.
The tour is also not recommended for people who have been scuba diving in the past 24 hours.
Participants will be required to sign a waiver of liability.
Participants should be able to hike on rocky or uneven terrain.
- Special Notes:
- Be prepared to encounter muddy, wet or cool conditions. The average mean temperature at the summit is freezing.
- Operation Days:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday
- Approx. 7-8 hours roundtrip
- Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Big Island
- Max. of 14 guests per tour
- Hooded parkas and warm gloves are provided. We utilize an 11 Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope for stargazing.